Sunday, September 20, 2009

A time when I was my best would be during my senior year. I had spent most of my time working with my two steers. During the fall I would drive to Searsboro, Iowa, wash them and blow them dry. I then had to brake them to lead. These two steers were the easiest steers I have had to brake, throughout my showing career. Later in the fall I had to train the steers to get use to the show stick and set up correctly. In December I decided to take one of my steers to Lincoln, Nebraska, for the AGR Winter Preview Show. We entered my steer in the low percentage simmental prospect. I won that with ease and waited till the final drive. During that time the steer got tired, it didn't help that he wouldn't lay with people walking around, but once the final drive started my steer decided to lay down. I was frustrated because this has never happened to me. I quickly got him back up and pulled into position. Thinking back on the experience, it was something different. I learned that the calf could do anything and you always needs to be ready for something to happen. It has helped me in college, it's something I'm not use to and there is always something new happening.
I spent even more time with my steers and had them trained like none other. I could pull in line and they were set up perfect or I only had to change a few things. It came time for the Iowa Beef Expo in Des Moines, Iowa. I took both steers up to show. I spent most of the time down in the barn sitting by them. On Saturday I had to show my breed steer in the Charolais division. Some people helped me get him fitted. I went in the show ring and did everything perfectly. I got worried when the judge pulled out a steer that looked worse then a feed lot calf. I then realized that he was picking bottom to top. I relaxed a little and watched every movement the judge made. It was down to the final three in the class. The judge kept looking at the other two steers more than mine. I kept thinking that was going to get the short end of the stick and get third in the class. I ended up winning the class and the Charolais division. On Sunday I showed my crossbred steer. I was able to keep calm during that class, even though the judge made a bad call in my mind, but I went with his decision. After that show I learned to go with the flow of things, and that things can get screwed up for dumb reasons.
I spent all spring juggling soccer and taking care of my steers. I had to miss some team suppers, to wash the steers. I spent all of my summer waking up early, rinsing the steers, brushing and putting them in a cooler. I did that every morning for the summer. It then came time for the Iowa State Fair. It felt different then fairs in the past. It might of been the fact that people were constantly looking at my charolais steer. Show day came and I was nervous like none other. I couldn't stand still and I didn't want to be bothered by anyone. Throughout the day I was thinking about what to do in the show ring. I got through showing in the divisions and ended up winning the charolais and then was in contention for the crossbreds. It came time for the final drive. I was getting the steer fitted and people kept coming to look at my steer. A group people just stood there looking at the steer and others that made it in the final drive. Analyzing the flaws and what they liked about each steer. I went in the show ring and got introduced as the champion charolais steer. The judge chose his top 5 steers, unfortunately the judge didn't like my steer. I was disappointed, I couldn't believe it a crowd favorite, a steer that made the show jocks worried didn't make it in the top 5. I shook it off and went back to the pin, and then went back home. I learned that everyone has a different opinion and that even if everyone else likes it, the one person who is judging has the final decision.I did my best through my final year showing cattle. It was the best anyone in my family has done at state fair.

11 comments:

  1. Nate I didn't know there were that many cattle shows. That's sweet that you took all the time and effort and got rewarded in a couple shows. To bad the judge didn't like yours in the final one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate, I love that you took a positive lesson away from the judge at the end. That show a lot of character. You are a very ambitious person and that will definitely help in college!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate
    I also show calves so I know the time commitment your talking about. Also that is a great accomplishment just winning the charlois division. It takes a lot of character to accept the judges decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad you can take away the fact that you had a championship steer and even though both weren't winners one was. And that is a vary big accompllish so you can roll with the ups and the downs which is awesome. It's a life skill that will help "to infinity and beyond."-Buzz Lightyear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im glad you were able to still leave with a positive feeling even though everything didnt work out quite the way you had wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like to me all the hard work and preparation that you put into your steers you should of won!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes after a disappointment people are left with a "sour" feeling, but you left the situation with learning a lesson and still taking pride in what you had a accomplished. Thats a really great quality to have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would first like to applaud stephen for name dropping in his comment. But, to your blog, your attitude was one of a successful person. If you keeping seeing like like that you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how hard showing can be. I showed horses for about 5 years. I never did get the chance to show at Iowa State Fair. You really showed dedication with getting them ready for every show. I, also, congradulate you on what lessons you learned through the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Showing is a difficult thing because your working with a animal an they can do unexpected things, you keeping a positvie attiude in the end really helped, great job

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I learned that everyone has a different opinion and that even if everyone else likes it, the one person who is judging has the final decision." So true, Nate. Many times, it's about enjoying the process rather than the end result.

    Heath

    ReplyDelete